– April 2014 UPDATE: while not a charity of TBC anymore, please read past the first paragraph in order to STILL support this amazing Nepalese charity and children’s home! – On a special Cultural Tidbits Monday post, LatinAbroad is proud to introduce one of the charities behind the Travel Blogging Calendar 2013. Personally, I’m saddened by (and tired of) fellow bloggers, those who are supposed to be part of our own community, bashing this terrific project many of us have worked hard on. I mean, is there really something bad about giving back!?
But I digress. Please, take your time to read and learn more about the charities we are trying to help out!
Learn more: Travel Blogging Calendar 2013 charities
Mitrata Children Home: Nepalese charity of TBC 2013
If your heart doesn’t want to grow arms and give a bear hug to the cutie on the picture above, you are simply not a human being. His name is Bikram and he was abandoned, along with his 3 siblings, by his mother. This happened after their father died in an accident years ago.
He is one of many the Nepalese charity Mitrata Children Home has rescued.
In their own words:
The aim of Mitrata is to provide a loving family environment for children who have known little or no security in their lives. We provide them education and lessons on morals and cultivate a fondness for family values and team work.
Over 98% of every donation and sponsorships go directly toward Nepalese charity programs that help these children in one way or another. These include, but are not limited to: education, medical assistance, individualized care, and therapy. Also, annual reports of this Nepalese charity (including pertinent tax documentation) are made available to any donor upon request.
The transparency and commitment of Mitrata’s Children Home is admirable — one of the reasons it was selected as one of the charities for the 2013 Travel Blogging Calendar!
- Clothing and supplies
- Physical therapy for children with disabilities
- Health care screenings and basic medical care
- Quality nutrition and specialized nutritional support
- Education for school-aged children
- Caretaker training and education
- Computer training for older children
- Recreational opportunities and outings for all children
- And even Music Training!
To learn more about the children currently supported by the Nepalese charity Mitrata Children Home, click here.