1. susanne atkinson-tilton
    March 27, 2015

my 28yr daughter & I r going 2 all-inclus. in playa del Carmen dec-jan with an not so great budget to do a whole lot of adventures. We wld like to do 1 full-day and a half day attractions. love jungle nite shows daughter zip line, not too many stairs 4 me (will do with her) she likes the pyramids. help can’t choose the best to see with not a lot of $. 500.00 a pc. what wld u do most with what i’v tld u. vry much appreciated. help me. the best w/not a lot of time. can’t wait thank u. love u’r page

• Maria Alexandra
      June 17, 2016

thank you and am so sorry I missed your message Susanne! what did you end up doing? Definitely Xcaret and Xelha parks should offer many options for both the adventurous and the one who wants to be more chill or has limited mobility.

2. Bethaney – Flashpacker Family
    November 12, 2014

We’re going to Playa del Carmen for two weeks in December, planning lots of day trips so this is super useful!

3. Sarah
    April 30, 2014

Looks like you had one amazing adventure, the Yucatan sure is one place to visit that is full of history, culture and non-stop fun. Chichen Itza is one of my fav places to visit, i am in ore every time I go there.

• Maria Alexandra Laborde
      June 24, 2014

I certainly had a blast, never get tired of going back to the Yucatán! Good food, sweet people 🙂

4. Crischo
    November 8, 2013

Great post about the main sites to visit! I never entered the Coco Bongo, yet. Maybe the next time.

November 15, 2013

omg, WHAAAA?! It’s a BLAST! So much going on, so great. If you’ve been Las Vegas though this might not be so amazing… But for Mexico? Pretty awesome

5. Ruth
    February 11, 2013

Maria,
    When I visited the Mayan Riviera and the Yucatan, I wasn’t able to do the tours you highlight in here. However, I visited Valladolid, Chichen Itza and Xcaret. All those were great but I am ready to go back and explore more of the area. I would love to float in Rio Lagartos. I was able to get a massage for $35 an hour. You have to tell me where you went for yours.

March 8, 2013

An ancient haggling technique: act like you don’t care much — keep just walking by with a coy smile. Eventually, tell them that you know of a different place that charges $18 for a 70-minute massage and whether they’ll match the price 😉 Walla! Competition is so fierce that they’ll likely give in. If they don’t? Go to a different place that will! 😉

6. Cathy Sweeney
    January 18, 2013

Oh, that croc looks scary! I’ve been to Chichen Itza, so I guess next time I’ll head to Cobá. Looks fascinating.

October 3, 2013

you should definitely go back, Cathy! The Riviera Maya has WAY too much to offer, could never do it on just one trip.

PS: I was terrified of the croc being that close, too. But now I think it was a great experience! haha :p

7. Malaysian Meanders
    January 18, 2013

I went to Chichen Itza as a kid, and my family nicknamed it “Chicken Pizza.” Hubby and I tried out Xcaret a few years ago when our cruise ship was in port. I really enjoyed floating down the underground river but thought the drinks were waaaaay overpriced (but I was preggers, so it didn’t matter).

January 21, 2013

any touristy part will be expensive, although I have found the all-inclusive passes (including all drinks and food) to be quite reasonable for families. You should definitely go back and do some of the adventurous activities!

8. InsideJourneys
    January 17, 2013

Reflexology for $18? unheard of!
    Pink flamingos? Mayan ruins, salt flats, crocs ? I always thought Playa del Carmen was too touristy but I see there are lots more things to do there. Thanks for this writeup, Maria!

January 21, 2013

yes, you will find tourists on the beach and a lot of them on 5th Avenue, but that doesn’t take away from the charm and many things to do in Playa Del Carmen. You should definitely hit it up!

9. Average Traveller
    January 17, 2013

Two TPThursday posts in a row for destinations where I’ve only sampled on cruises. When we were there we went to Xcaret because we were told the food was good and safe for tourists. At lunch when the waiter put down a spicy salsa I assumed that it was spicy by tourist standards and went a little too hard on it. I found out after a few minutes that it was the slow burn kind of salsa when it suddenly got hot even by my standards. I had to down my margarita and my wife’s sangria to fight the flames. I spent most of the afternoon curled up on a bench semi-drunk with heartburn while my wife explored the park and gift shops.

February 5, 2013

oh no! Hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy the destination better next time. Because there WILL be a next time, right? 😉

10. Muza-chan
    January 17, 2013

A beautiful place to visit 🙂

11. Izy Berry – The Wrong Way Home
    December 16, 2012

It looks like you had an amazing time 🙂 I would love to go to all of these places!

October 3, 2013

just GO Izy! ;-D

12. Sherlyn
    December 15, 2012

Hi, I am Sherlyn, a new fan of your Latin cultures blog, I find your blog pretty interesting as I love Mexico city so much and I have always wanted 2 visit Mexico city because of my significant other.. 🙂 Perhaps, we can meet up in Singapore and hang out together..

December 18, 2012

Singapore has been on my list for a while, actually! Let’s see what 2013 brings 😉

13. Christy
    December 14, 2012

I LOVED Sian Ka’an! One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I wish I had come across an $18 70-minute massage though!

December 18, 2012

only in Playa Del Carmen 😉 and you must haggle!