1. Lub
    May 28, 2015

I am Spanish and a lot of this superstitions are not true or wrong, for example, if a broom hits the feet of a single person, we just say “don’t do this or my mother in law will not love me”. The thing about having a heart attack if you take a shower after dinning is ridiculous, what parents normally tell to kids is not to swim right after eating to avoid stomach cramps, that’s not superstition is just hydrocution.

• Maria Alexandra
      December 5, 2015

superstitions are part of folklore, not necessarily believed by everyone. Just like not everybody’s religious, not everybody is superstitious. We get that.

Also, Spain is a large and diverse country – maybe These superstitions are not part of your region’s folklore, but another’s 😉

2. About Spain
    November 10, 2012

I’m Spanish and have never heard of the phone call superstition (in fact, I’ve never heard anybody greet saying “bendición”, it sounds South American); or of the bucket of water. The only superstition on New Year’s Eve is to eat 12 grapes on each of the chimes. Of course, things vary from region to region, but those really don’t ring a bell.

Also, the one of going into water after eating includes swimming pools, bathtubs and the beach: we’re told our digestion will be interrupted, which could mean heart attacks or just general discomfort, and drowning if you’re swimming!

November 13, 2012

They definitely vary from region to region!

I think the funniest superstition is the one about going into the water after eating, specially because we believe the same thing in Puerto Rico. I remember my mom telling me constantly to not do this while growing up. As of, she would freak the hell out if I would jump into the water after eating anything. LOL

3. Michele @ Malaysian Meanders
    October 20, 2012

I just looked up the saints for my daughter’s birthday, and frankly, I don’t think I would have picked any of those names. But I named her Maria, so I know you’ll approve of that one. I think Brazilians have the same superstition about walking barefoot. A Brazilian woman used to come over to my house all the time, and my Asian custom of removing shoes made her feel like she was going to get sick. When cultures collide!

October 23, 2012

haha, yes, some of the saints’ names are not that pretty. For this very reason, most parents choose it as the middle name of their child. So in reality, this name is never known by family members or even friends, unless they take a look at an official document. I know this is the case for most of my aunts!

That is incredibly interesting about the Brazilian woman and your Asian custom. Respecting another person’s culture while not “spitting on the face” of our own…a Catch-22 indeed!

4. InsideJourneys
    October 18, 2012

I know the one about leaving your purse on the floor and the New Year’s Eve water throwing. The others are kinda funny. Wonder how they came about.

October 19, 2012

hmm! Are those Jamaican superstitions as well, then?

5. Debbie @ European Travelista
    October 18, 2012

Superstitions are fun! I would love to know where they come from. They seem hard to let go of too!

October 19, 2012

they probably come from medieval times, when people were extremely superstitious. This, of course, is my own opinion–it may be true (or not) 😛

like religious beliefs, superstitious are really hard to let go of indeed!

6. jenny@atasteoftravel
    October 18, 2012

Great list of superstitions! I loved the one about walking barefoot inside and the broom one of course!

October 19, 2012

haha, yes, it is just so funny — you can tell how terrified the Spanish were/are(?) about remaining single for the rest of their lives!

7. Hogga
    October 18, 2012

Maybe I’ll just avoid drinking water altogether lol

October 19, 2012

sangria it is: Bring it on!

8. Agness (@Agnesstramp)
    October 18, 2012

Great story! “If broom hits the feet of a single person while sweeping the floor, that person will never get married”- my favourite one. I will end up being single all my life l guess 😉

October 19, 2012

haha, sometimes I wonder! 😛 I almost get married once, but that didn’t work out… Now I’ve been in a serious relationship for almost a year, but I vowed that I would never get married before I hit 30 (I’m currently 25). So hmm… We shall see! 😉 😛

9. Scarlett
    October 16, 2012

LOVE THIS – I’m going to tell my kids the broom one (just so they move out the way lol) xx

October 17, 2012

hahaha – I thought that was one of the funniest Spanish superstitions. There is really a phobia of remaining single the rest of your life!