1. Henry Krinkle
    February 14, 2014

Maria, you are a very pretty and sexy Latina. Sochi is warm because it is the southernmost area of Russia, it borders on a warm inland sea (not a cold ocean), and if you look at the map it’s very close to Turkey and the Middle East, which are warmer even in winter. Plus the mountains do shelter the city from the colder weather to the north, which is why it’s a seaside resort. Stay cute Maria.

February 18, 2014

thanks for all of that info, Henry! And for the compliments… hehe 🙂

2. Diane Marie
    February 10, 2014

I had never heard of Sochi until this Olympics. I think it is so beautiful there and reminds me a lot of southern California where I live. We have our beaches and inland areas with palm trees, then the local mountains with the pine trees and snow in winter. I’m in the inland area, about 40 miles from the beach, and also 30-60 miles from our local mountains, then 60 miles from Palm Springs, so our summers are warmer, but winter temps are comparable, except this winter which wasn’t a winter for us. In a winter where our mountains would get lots of snow I could look out the window from my house and see the beautiful snow-capped mountains. Big Bear Mtn. which is less than 50 miles from here has an elevation of 8,000+ feet; whereas, mountains further up the state top that by quite a bit. I believe Sochi would be a lovely place to visit.

February 18, 2014

oh that’s true! Good analogy to compare Sochi with some parts of California 🙂

3. James Newell
    January 3, 2014

I read the piece on Sochi and was surprised by its climate and weather. What was missing was an explanation about why a city so far North can have a semi-tropical climate!

January 6, 2014

that’s a good question James! I have been looking around and there isn’t a specific explanation as to why Sochi’s climate is subtropical.

I do know, however, that it is located at same latitude as Nice, France — which happens to have a hot-summer Mediterranean climate. However, since Sochi receives more cold winds from the north, it isn’t as warm as Nice. But that’s about it!

I’ll assume that the mountains around it protect Sochi from otherwise extreme Russian weather.

4. Mark
    December 2, 2012

The warmest neighborhoods of any Winter Olympics destination in the history of the games are warmer than anything Sochi has to offer (Metro Vancouver, Canada).

Specifically, as defined by a warmer mean air temperature (average temperature between day and night), unlike Sochi, Russia – the winter seasons in the Lighthouse Park region of Metro Vancouver, where the last Winter Olympics were held, are NORMALLY warmer than the winter seasons in some suburbs of Dallas, Texas.

December 3, 2012

thanks for the additional information Mark. However, seems like you missed the point of my blog post. 😉

What I wanted to show with this Sochi Russia weather article was that most people think of Russia as a dim and cold, cold place, when this is clearly not the case in every city.

I didn’t claim that Sochi, Russia was the warmest Winter Olympics host in history 😉 Cheers

5. Megan Jones
    October 19, 2012

Oh man, I agree completely! Sochi is definitely on my travel bucket list now. Recently I have really wanted to learn more about and travel to the Baltic region. I watched a nature documentary on Montenegro and have been itching to explore ever since. Sochi sounds like a wonderful oasis to check out after exploring the chilly regions.

October 23, 2012

sounds like a plan Megan! Let us know about that trip once you go 😉

• raphael
        February 6, 2014

YES… let us know my dear…

February 18, 2014

thanks to Henry, we got this: “Sochi is warm because it is the southernmost area of Russia, it borders on a warm inland sea (not a cold ocean), and if you look at the map it’s very close to Turkey and the Middle East, which are warmer even in winter. Plus the mountains do shelter the city from the colder weather to the north, which is why it’s a seaside resort” 🙂

6. Annie B.
    October 3, 2012

I had no idea it is so nice and warm city! If you say Russia I imagine a snow, ice… and snow and ice… I thought it is not a good place for visiting. Thank you for your post, you changed my mind. I think it is a nice place for next holidays… isn’t it?

October 4, 2012

My same surprise. I wonder if Puerto Ricans skin will still find the city a bit cold…hehe. Very likely! 😛

7. Nancie
    October 1, 2012

What a beautiful beach! Coming from a large country (Canada) I get how there can be so many different climates in one country. People think Canada is just one big sheet of ice (I am exaggerating…a bit:), but it isn’t. Like Russia, the climate depends where you are 🙂

October 24, 2013

but I believe it can be pretty cold anywhere in Canada if I visit during the winter, right? or do certain regions in Canada get milder winters?

8. Jackie Smith
    September 28, 2012

Glad to see it can be nice in Sochi. Despite their reputation for good weather, our cruise ship visited on one of the darkest, drearest days we’ve ever seen (and coming from Seattle, we know dark and dreary). . .it was a depressing stop. You’ve put a different face to this place – thanks.

October 24, 2013

aww really? That’s too bad! You’ll have to go back on that cruise now 😉

9. Michele @ Malaysian Meanders
    September 28, 2012

I knew the Winter Olympics were going to be in Russia, but I didn’t know exactly where. I had pictured Moscow. This sounds like a very interesting place. Now to figure out how to score tickets to the Games.

October 24, 2013

that’s yet another item on my travel bucket list: to go to the Olympics one year!

10. jan
    September 27, 2012

Hi, This is one area I do not know much about. Looking at the map made me realize how many countries border onto the Black Sea. I enjoyed seeing the photo of Sochi Russia – very interesting.

11. jade
    September 27, 2012

Never heard of it either! I feel alittle silly, but you learn things every day!

October 24, 2013

I thrive to teach and learn myself while keeping up this blog, so happy to read this! 🙂

12. Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista
    September 27, 2012

Very interesting! I’ve never heard of Sochi and would think its weather would be horrible in the winter! It makes sense though. Russia is very big so having varied climates seems logical.

September 27, 2012

My thoughts exactly before writing this post, Debbie. I didn’t even think about Russia’s sheer size equaling varied climates. Since Russia’s entire landmass is located in high latitudes, I still thought mild weather was impossible