1. Paul
    March 24, 2015

We’really going to PR at the end of May and staying in Fajardo. We are visiting Culebra and El Yunque. Anything else we should do…cultural events?

Thanks!

• Maria Alexandra
      December 15, 2015

Puerto Rico cultural events vary by season and even month, so I would advise you to ask your hotel concierge or locals if you book a rental to know exactly what’s going on during your visit! We’re always celebrating something 😉 Hope you love my island, Paul!

2. ghalib
    March 14, 2013

Hello every body,I need your help, I want to visit Puerto rico and i haven’t decided yet which place i will stay in; so, any tips?

March 15, 2013

Depends how many days you are staying on the island! Can you tell us more? 🙂

3. Joselyn
    March 23, 2012

ii freakin lovee PUERTO RICO.!! ii miss it so much. =( ii havent been there in about 5 years…
    but ikk im deff goin soon.! btw ii lovee ur “essay”♥. it was nice to read stuff about PR..!

March 23, 2012

Happy to hear you liked it Joselyn! I’m going back to the island first week of July – you should come! 😉

4. Alberto
    February 8, 2012

I’ve visited the Island 3 times, I’m from Guatemala and my wife is Salvadorean, and we love it!! Our daughters wanted to take a trip to Hawaii, but after I told them about the time it would take to get there, and showed them our pictures from past vacations (again) they got very excited about Puerto Rico, so we’re thinking of going at the end of July. Just need to find out what besides the obvious water sports, we can do over there with an 8, 10 and 15 year old. oh yeah, the hidden beaches and the Bacardi house are out of the question 🙂

• Jim
      May 3, 2012

The Camuy Caves (Cavernas de Camuy) are great.
      El Yunque Rain Forrest (the only one in US soil).
      El Morro Fort in San Juan.
      A trip to the city of Ponce in the south. Stop in the Jibaro monument in the Hoghway. In Ponce go to the Fire House, La Guancha walk, Tibes Indigenous Ceremonial Center, Castillo Serralles, Cruceta del Vigia, and make the trip to Caja de Muerto Island.
      In the city of Bayamon (near San Juan) visit the Science Park (Parque de las Ciencias).
      Enjoy you family trip.!

May 3, 2012

I agree Jim, good recommendations 😀 been to all of them several times, as I lived 18 years there. My Puerto Rico is so beautiful! 🙂

5. Debbie @ European Travelista
    February 4, 2012

Thanks for the information on PR. I haven’t been but would love to! In fact, the company I work for is scheduled to install pharmacy equipment there and I’m trying to worm my way on that trip!

February 7, 2012

You should Debbie! 😉 If your trip is this summer let me know, I’ll be in the island again then! 🙂

6. InsideJourneys
    February 2, 2012

Thanks for this background on PR. I had no idea that it’s the smallest of the Greater Antilles. Apart from the language, there are few similarities with Jamaica. I visited PR a few years ago. Loved Old San Juan. Would love to go back one of these days.

7. Dick Jordan
    February 2, 2012

Informative! Thanks.

8. Justin Love
    December 13, 2011

Can we all say “chichaitos!!!”

December 14, 2011

HAHAHAHHAHA YES!!! Can’t believe you said that!!! How many times have u been to the island!? Apparently enough! 😉

January 20, 2012

JES!!

9. Pablo
    November 22, 2011

visiting in a few months! cant wait to see the sites, swim and surf all day!

November 22, 2011

yay! you will love my home, it is beautiful! 🙂

10. LatinAbroad
    September 2, 2011

XD !! gosh Marc, I wish I could “like” the comments on my blog!! XD

11. Marc Passion
    September 2, 2011

Well….PR will have to feature a man in a white suit strolling along the beautiful sands at some point! Especially with such magnificent scenery 😉

12. LatinAbroad
    September 1, 2011

Hahahaha, you make a good point!! =P Although I don’t know how I would feel about PR being a state…I don’t think I would like it =( nothing against the USA, I just *really* like PR competing against the WORLD at Olympics and other world games. It is such a sense of pride, seeing that Puerto Rican flag high whenever one of ours wins something. I feel it would be lost if we would become a state. Even if it takes years…still, look at Hawaii now for instance. I dont wanna lose it =(

• Jim
      May 3, 2012

That sounds good when you don’t live over here. We are second class american citizens and most people forget it. It will be good to be the most eastern state of the Union.
      We can keep the Olimpic and Miss Universe representations while being a state. That’s another miss conception. So, will you join us now in our goal to be the 51.

May 3, 2012

Jim, I have to slightly disagree with you. If anything, I think we would be better off as an Associated Republic, but with the current “culture” of living off the cupones and taking from the govt as much as we can, islanders just won’t progress. Becoming a state would be a huge problem, as many islanders do not speak English and there’s too much of a “cultural clash.” The islanders attitude needs to change first, if anything. Either way, a transition to either side–independence or statehood–would take years in order to be successful. But again I digress–the “take take take” culture that many islanders embrace is wrong and what’s sinking our island. In addition to drugs… but then again that’s all part of the “I want easy money” culture…

As far as Miss Universe and the Olympics go, we would *not* be represented as you say. Puerto Rico would go on to participate in Miss Universe USA, and if our delegate wins, we would go on to represent the USA in Miss Universe. No “Miss Puerto Rico” in the international contest anymore. Trust me I know. Same with the Olympics.

We could go on and on about what’s best for the island, but there are too many factors to consider that, of course, would not fit in a brief online discussion 😉

13. Globetrottergirls
    September 1, 2011

Cool post to clear up some common misconceptions about PR, even tho I still don’t understand how a U.S. passport holder can compete against the US in the Olympics 🙂 We’ll make it there….eventually!

14. Nomadic Samuel
    August 30, 2011

PR is a must on my next rtw adventure 🙂

August 30, 2011

That’s great to hear!! 😀 Let me know when you’re full-time planning it so I can give you the best tips before you head out 😉

15. Mica
    August 30, 2011

Ahhh how I love my PR! I was not born there, but my parents were and of course half of my family still lives on the island. My mom has 16 brothers and sisters so visiting the island involves ALOT of family reunions! While I haven’t been back in 5 years, I remember it like yesterday always. So happy for you that you get to go back! I have a cousin getting married next November so maybe then for me!

August 30, 2011

Oh funny, I’m actually going for my little sister’s wedding! But a PR visit was due, so yeah 🙂 I hope you get to go in November! Puerto Rico will be more beautiful than you remember it 😉

16. LatinAbroad
    August 29, 2011

Thanks for your comments guys! Andi: That’s so exciting! I actually might be heading to PR again the last week of January! Maybe we can meet up?! If not then it should definitely be Miami for the Pitbull/Enrique Iglesias concert in October! 😉

17. Cornelius Aesop
    August 29, 2011

I’ve always wanted to go to Puerto Rico. I grew up in a town with many Puerto Ricans and have always loved the culture and delicious food.

18. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures
    August 29, 2011

I’m so excited for you! I might be going to PR in January. I’m dying to get back there. Would love to surf and dive around the island.

19. Jim
    August 28, 2011

I can see a visit to Puerto Rico is a must if all the scenery is as good as this….